Jasper and Neriage
6, 7 and 8 April 2018
Slip porcelain and body porcelain in one piece
Two techniques distant in time and in geography, one technique, with slip porcelain and another with body porcelain, come together in a complex but fascinating technique with a wide variety of applications, from the unique piece to small series. To make the most of the potential of these techniques: Jasper and Nerikomi, the students will perform different exercises to get to know their fragility, strength and refinement. All the process and derivations for applications to different kind of objects, corrections of cracks, breakages and deformation.
– Totally practical lessons with a theoretical chapter by technology.
– Preparation of colored slip porcelain, recipe and percentages.
– Preparation of colored body porcelain, recipe and percentages.
– Creation of small pieces with different color combinations.
– Methods of creating organic or geometric motifs.
– Methods of including one technique on the other.
– Surface finishing method.
– Biscuit firing.
– Finishing and corrections after biscuit firing.
– Methods of positioning of the pieces into the kiln for high firing. Special features to avoid deformation and breakage.
– Finishing and corrections after the last firing.
The 20-hour workshop lasts from 9.00 to 17.00 on Friday and Saturday and from 9.00 to 16.00 on Sunday.
Teacher: Martha Pachon